Saturday 14 June 2014

3 Day Juice Cleanse

Since January my Instagram news feed has been full of images of juice. Plus, in 'real life' too, I'd say around 40% of my clients have been juicing and 'eating clean' too. So what's it all about?
I remember seeing 'Juice Master' Jason Vale on Sunday Brunch a good few months ago now, and was quite intrigued by his ideas on a juice revolution. Others must have been too! Then, I priced up a juicer. And the organic veg I'd need to get. Bang would go my summer holiday, so funnily enough the juicer stayed in John Lewis, and I continued eating what can only be described as crap.
I've always been lucky enough to have a decent metabolism, or so I'm guessing. My diet mostly consists of cake, chai tea lattes, wine and a penchant for late night McDonald's or krispy kreme doughnuts, yet I'm not clinically obese. YET being the operative word. Yes, i may look slightly slender, but I was starting to feel pretty gross on the inside. Like I needed to start taking good care of my body, before I woke up the size of a house with a cholesterol level to raise the roof.
As luck would have it, I came across Fresh Start Health,at our local Farm Feast a few weeks ago. Owner Melissa, has been trained by the Juice Master himself, and is the only company in my local area he would recommend, win win!
Fresh Start Health offer a 3,5 or 7 day juice programme, to kick-start your healthy eating programme, which seemed just the ticket! I opted for the 3 day cleanse (I thought 3 days would kill me, let alone 5!) and set aside some time to clear the social calendar and ban the booze.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
My 3 day frozen juices!
You collect the juices frozen, ready to pop in your freezer and take out a few hours before you need them. I forgot about this frozen business, so when I turned up starving at midday to collect my order, I decided to order a fresh juice to get me started.
Heather, one of Melissa's helpful team, suggested I start with a green juice The Green Goddess to be precise. Now, I'll admit, I wasn't exactly a massive fan. The ginger made it glide down slowly, but I was very aware I was drinking my most hated veggies. If it carried on like this I'd be raided the biscuit tin my sun down.
photo 3 (3)
The Green Goddess- Not for me!!
Thankfully, it didn't! As I waited for my expectant hunger pangs, they didn't make an appearance. More shockingly, I actually felt 'full'. Not my usual 'eyes bigger than my tummy' full, but nicely full and satisfied.
Day 1 done, I was prepared for a hellish day 2. You can experience headaches, nausea and tiredness as your toxins leave your body- and as I was pretty sure my body was as toxic as they come- I was awaiting the worse. Again, I'm pleasantly surprised another day done and if anything, I feel more energetic.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Bananalicious- my fave!
Finally- day 3! One more day until I can chew! This is when I started to think about the next week- it's out with the old and in with the new! (Well, let's be honest, I am going to Glasto and on a mammoth 3 week holiday, so 'new' might not last too long)
Shopping for my new-found diet was a little difficult, I was one juice away from the end of my final day, and desperate to eat. But, having a shopping basket full of organic vegetables, fruit and almond milk, I surprised myself- I never thought I would be so excited to eat fruit!! Plus, I'd picked up a few extras at Fresh Start Health, so I was most excited to tuck into my raw chocolate and lentil coconut curry!
Now, a juice cleanse isn't really about weight loss- that's just the bonus that comes with consuming the right things! So, I'm delighted to find I shed 4lbs in those mere 3 days, as well as feeling much slimmer and most importantly healthy!
What's next? As soon as festival season, city breaks and my travels are complete, I think I'll be booking another 3 day juice cleanse. From then, it'll be time to bite the bullet and buy my very own juicer!
Even if I just manage one juice a day alongside a healthier diet, I'm sure my body (and my waistline!) will be delighted!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment